Our Family

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Saturday, September 12, 2009

The dangers lurking in your yard




On monday Austin decided to give his momma and daddy a really bad scare..........I have beat myself up about this but know there isn't much I could do about it..........but it sure don't help the mommy guilt I feel...........OK now the story and the reason for the mushroom pics..........




Here in oklahoma we have been having a very wet summer........Kent nor I thought anything about the mushrooms growing in the yard..........I actually thought they were kind of cool, they grow after a heavy rain and are feeding off of something decomposing in the ground..........Never in a million years did I ever think that one of them could kill one of my kids...........




We were all outside taking care of the horses, checking on the hen that is sitting......Just doing things as a family......Jace was in the house asleep (we still don't have a monitor) Alyssa came bringing me up this huge mushroom.........I've always been told to treat mushrooms that grow in the wild as poisonous, so I told Alyssa to throw it down and destroy it........She tells me "Momma, there are more over there growing" so I told her to go destroy them and I went to check on Jace..........About 5 mins later she comes in and says that Austin ate a mushroom, I didn't put 2 and 2 togather at all........Austin comes up to me and says "momma, my belly hurts" I didn't think anything of it until about 5 mins later when he comes up to me and says "Momma my belly really hurts" It couldn't have been no more than 15 mins from the time he ate it to the time that I figured out what was going on...............Kent called poison control while I got him ready to go........this boy is a dirt magnet........Turns out that he ate one of the most deadliest mushrooms in the state..........We rushed him to the ER..........They met us at the door........The ER was completely packed, standing room only and they met us at the door (I'm impressed) Took us back started accessing him.........And he acted like nothing was wrong however that was an understatement..........Within 15 mins of us getting there they had to give him charcoal........he took maybe a tablespoon of it and started throwing up.........They dont' believe he had enough charcoal to begin vomitting that way........They wanted me to get more of the charcoal down him.......ya right..........this poor baby was throwing up so much that he had the dry heaves......Poor baby.....AFter throwing up almost continueously for about 30 mins they came in and says well we are admitting him, we have to watch his liver and kidney levels for 48 hrs.........One of the adverse effects is liver and kidney failure with mushroom poisoning..........So we had 4 sets of labs done........After he was done throwing up or so we thought, he developed diareaha........oh it was bad.........again this is an effect of eating the mushroom......he was up all night long, flipping from one end of the bed to the other end......I would try to doze with him and that wasn't happening..........6 am rolls around and we have to change the bed for the 4th time.......he finally just lays there, you can tell he just don't feel good..........But at least we are done with the vomitting and throwing up........I can't get him to drink or eat.........by the time Dee gets there around 10:30 his eyes are sunken in and they are black.........he just lays there........He finally passes out around 12:30..........Dee goes and gets Kent and kent is staying up at the hospital with him now............As we all know Kent may love his kids but he can't deal being stuck at home when one of his babies are in the hospital............So we traded places.......Of course I dealt with the worst of it..........Well I have to leave around 3:30 to get home intime for Alyssa and Joshua to get off the school bus..........I try waking him up........Nope but ok didn't think anything about it......checked the diaper that he had on it was still try............He hasn't gone to the bathroom since 6 am.......Told kent to keep an eye on it and went home..........Around 6 pm he saidd that he couldn't get him to wake up........And he was still dry...........So I had him get the nurse in there............She got him to take a drink in his sleep........but couldn't get him to wake up........this was another thing they were watching for...........Around 7:30 I started calling on the prayer warriors to say a prayer for my son.........Around 8 pm I got a phone call that made me cry.........It was my baby, he had woke up.........They don't think it had anything to do with the mushroom poisoning just to do with the fact of what his body had been through in the last 5 days (he had his tonsils removed on friday) and the vomitting just took it all out of him............He still hadn't peed at that time but hey we were still awake.......So I informed the prayer warriors and about a half hour later dh calls me and says we are peeing..........I have never been so happy to hear bodily functions as I was then............I knew then that he was going to be ok...........It was a scary 2 days..........The labs always came back normal.......which is awesome however we still have to monitor them for about 6 mths to make sure nothing sneaks up on us............but my baby is fine............Thank you Lord.........
He has been asked by several people if he is going to eat mushrooms again, he growls at us........I don't think he will even eat the ones out of the can now.............I did get a direct answer out of him yesterday and its a "no" He actually has been put to the test............They found another mushroom growing in the yard.........he went running to his daddy to have daddy get rid of it........
Moral of my story, get rid of the mushrooms before they cause problems and watch your kids......In the blink of an eye it can all change.........

No comments:

Post a Comment